Today opens Spring Training reporting for pitchers and catchers in the Seattle Mariners organization. It looks like the rumors about Felix Hernandez are true – and there is a contract that was finalized today. A few more signings were made official in the past week.
- Felix Hernandez agrees to a 7 year, $175 million dollar contract with the Seattle Mariners. This makes him the highest paid player in Major League baseball. While we should hold off from further speculation about the contract (details will be released in a press conference on mlb.com at 2:00 pm PST Wednesday Feb. 13), I think many Mariners fans will sleep quite well tonight.
- Pitchers and catchers are reporting to Spring Training today.
- The deal with Kelly Shoppach was finalized. He will make $935,000 in his one-year contract with the Ms. Shawn Kelley has been designated for assignment.
- Pitcher Jon Garland and Kameron Loe were each signed to a minor league deal with the Mariners.
- Joe Saunders is at Spring Training though his signing isn’t official until the Mariners determine which member of the 40 man roster they will release. His contract is with the Major League for $6.5 million for 2013.
- Michael Bourn has finally been assigned. He will be playing ball with the Cleveland Indians this season.
- Jesus Montero is continuing to maintain that he is in no way affiliated with the Miami clinic and PED controversy.
Who’s Spring Training are you most curious about?
Tags: Seattle Mariners