There hasn’t been a whole lot of movement in the Mariners’ Nation over the past few days. We’re waiting for announcements about who will be inducted into the 2013 Hall of Fame, a former American League MVP resurfaces, and a former Red Sox manager will now be appearing in a new role.
- Rumor has it that Michael Bourn may be in talks with the Rangers, rumors also circulate around Kyle Lohse and Justin Upton and Rangers deals. This means that for the M’s to get any of these players they’ve got to move fast, and put together something that will appeal to any one of these guys.
- The Dodgers signed center-fielder Alfredo Amezaga to a minor-league contract with an invite to join their team for the Majors spring training.
- It appears that the rumor that Giancarlo Stanton would be up for grabs may be false. It looks like the Marlins want to hold onto him after all.
- In a contradictory rumor, the Braves may resign Michael Bourn, thus taking him off the free agent market.
- Lance Berkman, designated hitter, signed the one year $10 million dollar deal with the Texas Rangers.
- On a humorous note, Jose Canseco, former AL MVP, tweeted his New Years resolutions. Among the resolutions were “Help people who are getting screwed wherever I can.” and “Return to pro baseball as player or manager and have dinners with McGwire, La Russa, Bonds, and Selig.” Evidently he also wants to become a politician and fight Shaq in an MMA cage match. So anytime you feel depressed that the Mariners have not yet made a decision about who they will sign next year – just picture Canseco vs. Shaq, and you’ll be smiling again.
- We’re still waiting for an announcement about the 2013 Hall of Fame. Rumor has it that Craig Biggio may be the only person elected due to the controversy about the ballot.
- Bobby Valentine, former manager of the Boston Red Sox, is taking on a new position as a commentator for NBC Sports Radio as a co-host for a weekday talk show. He was fired in October after the Red Sox went 69-93. He also managed the Texas Rangers and the New York Mets.