Mariners: Who won the Robinson Cano/Jarred Kelenic Trade?
Mariners/Mets Trade: Where is everyone now?
People definitely forget everyone that came over to the Mariners in the trade. Most of the time, it’s just Jarred Kelenic and Justin Dunn that get talked about. Jay Bruce, Anthony Swarzak, and Gerson Bautista came over as well. Where is everyone now?
- Jarred Kelenic – Tacoma Rainiers – The Mariners AAA Team
- Justin Dunn – Traded to the Cincinnati Reds, currently on the IL with a bum shoulder
- Jay Bruce – Traded away. Currently Retired
- Anthony Swarzak – Traded away. Currently a Free Agent
- Gerson Bautista – Released. Currently in the Mexican Independant League
- Robinson Cano – DFA’d. Signed with the San Diego Padres
- Edwin Diaz – New York Mets
As you can see, only one of these players is on the big league team that traded for them. There have been plenty of other trades that have happened, with everyone other than Kelenic and Diaz having been moved around.
It’s worth remembering what else was a part of this deal. The Mariners were set to pay $20 million of Cano’s salary, or about $4 million per year. Some of this ended up being null and void due to either suspensions or his DFA from the Mets.
You can see that there is a lot more to the deal than just what originally happened. The Mariners traded away or released everyone other than Kelenic, and the Mets cut ties with Cano. Let’s take a deeper look at the related deals as well as the production these players provided.