our story about the confidence level of Mariners fans in regards to GM our story about the confidence level of Mariners fans in regards to GM

Fans split on Scott Servais as future manager of the Mariners

SEATTLE, WA - SEPTEMBER 25: Seattle Mariners manager Scott Servais walks on the field. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
SEATTLE, WA - SEPTEMBER 25: Seattle Mariners manager Scott Servais walks on the field. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit

Since we published our story about the confidence level of Mariners fans in regards to GM Jerry Dipoto, our polls have attracted 100 more replies and the gap has closed most significantly on one question.

If you would like to take part in our poll, you can by clicking here. But the question we are tackling today is a rather simple one for Mariners fans: Agree or Disagree? Scott Servais should be the manager when the team feels it is ready to compete.

With 277 responses, Mariners fans are pretty evenly split. 53.3% of our pollsters disagree with Servais still being the manager when the team feels it is ready to compete, leaving 46.7% believing Servais is the man to lead a winning team.

What I find interesting about these numbers is the late surge of confidence in Servais. It happens to coincide with the late surge of voters after we published our Dipoto story. With 170 votes, Dipoto earned a 97.1% of positive feedback when asked if he has the team on the right track. Over 100 votes later, that number is down to 89.5%.

The late surge of voters seem to favor Servais to Dipoto, but the vast majority of people still have a more favorable opinion of the GM rather than the manager.

Servais has proved to be a below-average field manager, particularly with bullpen management. Servais has some skills, including in the player development department, and has gotten a lot of credit for building a culture, something past managers like Eric Wedge and Lloyd McClendon failed to do.

Next. How Mariners fans feel about Jerry Dipoto. dark

Servais may be a great manager 21 hours a day, but the 3 hours we get to see, he has been mediocre at best. This isn’t to say that Servais will never be a good manager, but four years in, we still haven’t watched must of an improvement. Servais will likely be managing for his job this year and he may join his friend Jerry Dipoto in the front office when all is said and done.