AAA Tacoma Rainiers
For the AAA Rainiers it was a another great year. Finishing with over eighty wins and making it to the Pacific Coast League semi-finals. They also won the PCL Pacific Northern division by a comfortable 5.5 games.
Their success did have some help from Mariners who were on the mend, but for the most part, it was their roster of prospects that helped push them so far.
More from SoDo Mojo
- 2023 Steamer Projections: Teoscar Hernandez could see a drop in Seattle
- Could the Mariners Acquire AL Batting Champion, Luis Arraez?
- Steamer Projections: Julio Rodriguez to enter rarified air in 2023
- What if the Mariners traded FOR Tyler O’Neill this time?
- Mariners starting pitching is being overlooked by MLB
Two, now current Mariners, Mike Freeman and Dan Vogelbach were key components to their winning year. Freeman finished the season with the fifth best batting average in the PCL. Vogelbach finished in the top ten in home runs and third in RBI.
As for the pitching staff, they finished in the top five of all major categories. They had the third lowest ERA, and WHIP in the PCL. The team also finished with the third most saves in the PCL. But that wasn’t all. They even had the fourth most strikeouts. There clearly was little that the entire rotation and bullpen didn’t do.
When you combine the offensive power with the pitching accuracy, it is easy to understand how they did so well. It is surprising they didn’t do even better.