Mariners Analysis: Recapping the M’s Opening Series of the Year
Ketel Marte looks shaky early on
More from SoDo Mojo
- 2023 Steamer Projections: Teoscar Hernandez could see a drop in Seattle
- Could the Mariners Acquire AL Batting Champion, Luis Arraez?
- Steamer Projections: Julio Rodriguez to enter rarified air in 2023
- What if the Mariners traded FOR Tyler O’Neill this time?
- Mariners starting pitching is being overlooked by MLB
The play of Ketel Marte was one of few bright spots for the Seattle Mariners last season. The 22-year-old speedster hit .283 with 2 home runs and 17 RBI across 57 games as a rookie. Marte also posted a .351 on base percentage and slugged .402 through 247 plate appearances. He flashed a strong arm and a steady glove at shortstop.
Unfortunately, Marte has scuffled to start 2016. He is 3 for 13 with a bunt single and pair of bloop singles. Marte has also committed two inexplicable errors this season, including one that may have cost the M’s a chance to win on opening day.
Next: Mariners Roundtable: Can the M’s Make the Playoffs in 2016?
The Mariners are high on Marte, but his miscues defensively this season have been unacceptable. He has a solid approach at the plate, and I have faith in his ability to turn it around with the stick. It’s definitely not time to panic, but this is a situation to monitor in the coming weeks.