Mariners Roundtable: Most Surprising Players
Riley Baker – Franklin Gutierrez
We’re just about halfway through spring games, and there are several Mariners finding early success. One of those players is Franklin Gutierrez. He is certainly one of the biggest surprises thus far on this Mariners team.
More from SoDo Mojo
- 2023 Steamer Projections: Teoscar Hernandez could see a drop in Seattle
- Could the Mariners Acquire AL Batting Champion, Luis Arraez?
- Steamer Projections: Julio Rodriguez to enter rarified air in 2023
- What if the Mariners traded FOR Tyler O’Neill this time?
- Mariners starting pitching is being overlooked by MLB
Returning to the club on a one year deal early in the offseason, Gutierrez is expected to platoon with Seth Smith in the outfield this year. So far this spring, Guti his hitting .389 with 4 homeruns, a double, and 7 RBI through 8 games.
It has definitely been a sight for sore eyes to watch ‘The Death to Flying Things’ get into this early groove, and hopefully he can sustain it going into the regular season. While he has had trouble staying healthy, he should be able to keep things under control this year not having to play every day.
I’ll be very interested to see if Guti can stay healthy all season and continue to hit well against lefties. If he can even play 65 games in his platoon role and hit .280 with 7 or 8 home runs, I think that will be a successful season for our beloved Franklin Gutierrez.
Next: Sardinas' performance with the stick has been shocking