As we wrap up the Wednesday portion of the 2014 winter meetings, the M’s are still relatively quiet to this point.
Although a new potential name has surfaced, the Washington Nationals short stop Ian Desmond.
MLB trade rumors mentioned that the two teams have had discussions but haven’t really gained much ground.
The 29-year old Desmond is coming off of a year in which he hit 24 home runs and drove in 91, which was a career high.
More from Mariners Rumors
- What it would take for the Mariners to trade for Randy Arozarena
- Mariners News: Everything from Day One of the Winter Meetings
- Is Xander Bogaerts Still An Option For The Seattle Mariners?
- How the Mariners could complete a 3 team trade for Bryan Reynolds
- Would Justin Verlander be the right call for the Mariners?
Coming with the power is speed as well. Desmond has been a 20HR/20SB guy in each of the previous three seasons. It would be nice to have pop and speed added to the M’s line-up.
It is pretty safe to say it’s been a while since the M’s had that kind of power out of the short stop position.
The Nationals are rumored to like Brad Miller, but the M’s would certainly have to add to that package to land Desmond. The addition may be a reliever or even J.A Haap.
If you’re wondering about contract situations, Desmond will become a free agent following the 2015 season.
Again it seems these are just the preliminary talks about this possible deal, but it is something to think about as we head into day four in San Diego.