The Boston Red Sox didn’t waste anytime in getting to Hisashi Iwakuma. David Ortiz hit a two-run homer off ‘Kuma in the top of the 1st and despite giving up the lead in the bottom of the next inning, went on to beat the Seattle Mariners 5-4, avoiding the sweep.
In the 3rd however, the Red Sox would get to Iwakuma again with RBI singles by Daniel Nava and Ortiz to take a 4-3 lead. Ortiz added another RBI in the 5th, despite grounding into a double play.
Iwakuma pitched long enough to load the bases in the top of the 5th, his shortest outing of the season so far. His five earned runs matched his season-high and he allowed five or more in a start only three times last season.
Greg Johns of MLB.com tweeted that Iwakuma states that he is still dealing with a neck issue, though claims it’s not affecting his pitching:
Iwakuma says he still feels neck, but it's not affecting his pitching. Says he's responsible for bad outcomes in last two starts.
— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) June 26, 2014
The Mariners made it interesting late. Brad Miller homered in the 8th to cut the lead to 5-4. The M’s then had runners at 1st and 2nd with only one out against Koji Uehara in the 9th but Mike Zunino struck out and Dustin Ackley grounded out to 1st to end it.
The Mariners enjoy a rare day off today before welcoming the Cleveland Indians to town for a three-game series.
|Koji Uehara(SV, 16)||1.0||1||0||0||1||1||0||0.76||1.26|
|Hisashi Iwakuma(L, 5-4)||4.0||8||5||5||1||3||1||1.08||3.48|
- Pitches-strikes – C Buchholz 76-55; A Miller 11-8; K Uehara 19-9; H Iwakuma 80-54; T Wilhelmsen 35-27; B Maurer 24-19
- Ground balls-fly balls – C Buchholz 7-10; A Miller 0-0; K Uehara 3-0; H Iwakuma 7-3; T Wilhelmsen 3-1; B Maurer 2-1
- Batters faced – C Buchholz 27; A Miller 2; K Uehara 5; H Iwakuma 21; T Wilhelmsen 9; B Maurer 7
- Game Time: 2:40.
- Umpires: HP–D.J. Reyburn. 1B–Pat Hoberg. 2B–Jeff Kellogg. 3B–Dan Bellino.
- Weather: 75 degrees, Partly Cloudy.
- Wind: 0 mph, No Wind Direction.
- Attendance: 27,333.