The Seattle Mariners fell behind early, but the offense made sure Hisashi Iwakuma got his 3rd win of the season this time as they scored five times between the 3rd and 4th innings and went on to beat the Texas Rangers 6-2 in Arlington.
In Iwakuma’s last start, Fernando Rodney blew a 1-0 lead in the 9th and the M’s went onto lose the game. This time, after Adrien Beltre’s solo homer in the 2nd, Kuma settled in and the offense did the rest.
Michael Saunders‘ RBI single in the 3rd tied the game. Then Kyle Seager singled in James Jones and Saunders to take a 3-1 lead. Nick Franklin, having just been called up from Tacoma, started at DH in place of the injured Corey Hart. Franklin hit a sac fly to score Robinson Cano and the lead was 4-1.
Franklin was 2-for-3 with a run scored and that RBI in his return to the big club. Seager was 3-for-5 with 2 RBI and is now batting .329 against Texas in his career. Only Mike Zunino and Justin Smoak failed to collect hits as the Mariners tallied 12 knocks in the game. Every player reached base however as Zunino was hit by a pitch and Smoak drew a walk.
On the mound, Iwakuma was once again in mid-season form, despite it being only his 4th start of the season.
‘Kuma scattered six hits and walked only one, allowing two runs in eight innings of work before handing it over to relievers not named Rodney. Charlie Furbush and Danny Farquhar pitched a perfect ninth to seal the win.
The Mariners look for the short-series sweep in a matinee today. First pitch is set for 11:05 AM.
- 2B – K Seager (10, A Poreda); D Ackley (7, A Poreda)
- SF – N Franklin
- RBI – M Saunders (12), R Cano (25), K Seager 2 (25), N Franklin (1), D Ackley (19)
- 2-out RBI – R Cano, D Ackley
- Runners left in scoring position, 2 out – J Smoak 1, K Seager 2, M Zunino 2, B Miller 1
- Team LOB – 9
- SB – R Cano (3, 2nd base off C Lewis/R Chirinos), N Franklin (1, 2nd base off C Lewis/R Chirinos)
- CS – K Seager (2, 3rd base by A Poreda/R Chirinos)
- DP – 2 (R Cano-J Smoak, R Cano-B Miller-J Smoak)
- HR – A Beltre (4, 2nd inning off H Iwakuma 0 on, 0 Out)
- RBI – A Beltre (15), A Rios (24)
- Runners left in scoring position, 2 out – A Beltre 1
- GIDP – M Moreland, M Choice
- Team LOB – 3
- Outfield assists – S Choo
|Hisashi Iwakuma(W, 3-0)||8.0||6||2||2||1||3||1||0.72||1.76|
|Colby Lewis(L, 3-3)||6.0||9||5||5||3||6||0||1.75||5.40|
- HBP – N Franklin (by A Poreda); M Zunino (by C Lewis)
- Pitches-strikes – H Iwakuma 99-64; C Furbush 2-2; D Farquhar 11-8; C Lewis 104-65; A Poreda 25-15; A Ogando 32-22
- Ground balls-fly balls – H Iwakuma 11-8; C Furbush 1-0; D Farquhar 1-1; C Lewis 5-10; A Poreda 0-0; A Ogando 3-2
- Batters faced – H Iwakuma 29; C Furbush 1; D Farquhar 2; C Lewis 30; A Poreda 5; A Ogando 7
- Game Time: 2:54.
- Umpires: HP–Dan Bellino. 1B–Jeff Kellogg. 2B–Tom Woodring. 3B–D.J. Reyburn.
- Weather: 84 degrees, Clear.
- Wind: 16 mph, Right to Left.
- Attendance: 43,706.