First it was the Abraham Almonte letting the ball go through his legs. Then it was Kyle Seager dropping the ball on a throw by Mike Zunino. Then it was Stefen Romero and Dustin Ackley crashing into the outfield wall on back-to-back hitters, and neither catching the ball.
Yes, it was Three Stooges Night at Safeco Field and everyone was trying to do their best Larry, Moe and Curly impressions. If you haven’t figured it out yet, the Mariners lose to the Astros, by the score of 7-2. Granted, Felix Hernandez was not on his ‘A’ game tonight. I tweeted before first pitch that I thought he looked off in his warmups.
Not sure if there is anything to that, but it will interesting to follow up on later in the week. I have been saying for days how it’s too early to panic. And I genuinely still think that is the case. But it gets harder and harder to stick to that belief when you see plays being made in the field – or rather not being made – that you wouldn’t see on a Little League field.
Another thing I am tired of seeing, players striking out on called-third strikes. It’s not okay in Little League, it’s not okay in high school, it’s not okay in college, it’s not okay in the minors, it is completely and utterly unacceptable in the majors. Kyle Seager has made my blacklist, I have no hope for him anymore. Who wants to join the list? It’s simple. Strike out one more time this season with the bat resting comfortably on your shoulders and you can join the list.
I’m sure Lloyd McClendon will think up all kinds of excuses as to why this team is struggling. But the fact of the matter is, I’m tired of hearing excuses. This team needs a good old-fashioned chair-throwing, bottle breaking, butt-chewing tirade from their skipper. Because I am tired of hearing excuses.
So, the Mariners fall to 7-12 on the season. Same as 2013. They are still a few weeks away from having three of their top-five starting pitchers in the rotation. The offense can’t be this bad for long. So no, despite my frustration, and yours as well, it’s not time to push the panic button. But your hand should be touching it. Mine is.
- 2B – J Altuve (4, F Hernandez); M Dominguez (3, F Hernandez)
- 3B – A Presley (1, F Hernandez)
- HR – M Krauss (2, 8th inning off T Wilhelmsen 0 on, 2 Out), M Dominguez (3, 5th inning off F Hernandez 1 on, 1 Out)
- SF – J Castro
- RBI – J Castro (7), M Krauss 2 (4), A Presley (5), M Dominguez 3 (8)
- 2-out RBI – M Krauss 2, A Presley, M Dominguez
- Runners left in scoring position, 2 out – G Springer 1, M Gonzalez 2
- Team LOB – 4
- SB – D Fowler 2 (3, 2nd base off F Hernandez/M Zunino, 2nd base off F Hernandez/M Zunino)
- 2B – A Almonte (5, D Keuchel); S Romero (2, D Keuchel); M Zunino (4, D Keuchel)
- RBI – A Almonte 2 (8)
- Runners left in scoring position, 2 out – R Cano 1, S Romero 1, K Seager 1
- Team LOB – 6
- E – A Almonte (2, field); K Seager (4, field)
- Outfield assists – D Ackley
- DP – 1 (D Ackley-B Miller-R Cano)
|Dallas Keuchel(W, 2-1)||6.0||6||2||2||1||8||0||1.29||3.38|
|Félix Hernández(L, 3-1)||7.0||7||6||2||1||4||1||0.82||2.04|
- Pitches-strikes – D Keuchel 113-74; C Qualls 12-7; M Albers 15-9; J Fields 15-9; F Hernandez 96-60; T Wilhelmsen 26-16
- Ground balls-fly balls – D Keuchel 9-2; C Qualls 1-0; M Albers 1-1; J Fields 0-0; F Hernandez 11-6; T Wilhelmsen 3-2
- Batters faced – D Keuchel 25; C Qualls 3; M Albers 4; J Fields 3; F Hernandez 29; T Wilhelmsen 9
- Game Time: 2:49.
- Umpires: HP–Laz Diaz. 1B–Scott Barry. 2B–Jeff Nelson. 3B–Marcus Pattillo.
- Weather: 54 degrees, Cloudy.
- Wind: 6 mph, Left to Right.
- Attendance: 14,630.
Tags: Seattle Mariners