After making his first two big league starts, Roenis Elias was sitting at 0-1 despite two solid efforts. The Mariners offense, having been stymied for several games, were looking for a statement game. The bats woke up and Elias turned in his best start of the year so far, earning his first major league victory as the Mariners beat the Rangers 7-1.
Elias pitched 6 2/3 allowing only one earned run on five hits and two walks while striking out five, lowering his ERA to 2.16 on the young season.
Offensively, driven to get the kid his first win, the Mariners got on the board in the 5th with a solo homer off the bat of Mike Zunino. In the 6th, the flood gates opened.
Six Mariners came in to score in the 6th as the Mariners batted the lineup and then some. In a payback of sorts from the baseball Gods, one of the runs scored was Dustin Ackley, who was ruled out at the plate on a force out. But catcher J.P. Arencibia bobbled the ball in the transition to try to turn a double play and Mariners skipper Lloyd McClendon came out to argue.
After review, the play was overturned and Ackley was safe. Ackley has been the victim of this new “controlled catch” rule twice so far this season and gets a little retribution on this one. Rangers skipper Ron Washington was tossed from the game after coming out to argue the overturning of the call.
There were several positive notes. Kyle Seager had two hits, as did Michael Saunders who filled in for Logan Morrison who was scratched from the lineup prior to the start of the game with a tight hamstring. And of course, there was this bomb halfway up the hill in center off the bat of Zunino.
The Mariners continue the four-game series tomorrow. First pitch set for 5:05 pm PDT.
- 2B – J Smoak (4, H Noesi)
- 3B – M Saunders (1, C Lewis)
- HR – M Zunino (3, 5th inning off C Lewis 0 on, 1 Out)
- SF – R Cano
- RBI – R Cano (5), M Saunders (2), K Seager (2), D Ackley (7), M Zunino 2 (8)
- Runners left in scoring position, 2 out – C Hart 1, D Ackley 2
- Team LOB – 8
- CS – M Saunders (1, 2nd base by C Lewis/J Arencibia)
- DP – 4 (K Seager-R Cano-J Smoak, R Cano-B Miller-J Smoak, B Miller-R Cano-J Smoak, K Seager-R Cano-J Smoak)
- 2B – P Fielder (3, R Elias)
- RBI – K Kouzmanoff (2)
- Runners left in scoring position, 2 out – P Fielder 1, R Chirinos 1
- GIDP – S Choo, A Rios, J Arencibia, J Wilson
- Team LOB – 6
- E – A Rios (1, field); K Kouzmanoff (1, field); J Arencibia (2, field)
|Roenis Elías(W, 1-1)||6.2||5||1||1||2||5||0||1.02||2.16|
|Colby Lewis(L, 0-1)||5.1||8||4||3||0||4||1||1.50||5.06|
- HBP – K Seager (by C Lewis)
- Pitches-strikes – R Elias 104-70; Y Medina 22-10; D Farquhar 23-17; C Lewis 89-56; P Figueroa 17-11; H Noesi 35-22; S Tolleson 20-10
- Ground balls-fly balls – R Elias 10-4; Y Medina 1-2; D Farquhar 1-2; C Lewis 8-6; P Figueroa 4-1; H Noesi 5-1; S Tolleson 2-0
- Batters faced – R Elias 24; Y Medina 5; D Farquhar 5; C Lewis 24; P Figueroa 6; H Noesi 8; S Tolleson 4
- Game Time: 3:01.
- Umpires: HP–Paul Schrieber. 1B–Mark Carlson. 2B–Ted Barrett. 3B–Will Little.
- Weather: 52 degrees, Partly Cloudy.
- Wind: 15 mph, Out to Center.
- Attendance: 23,081.