The Candidates (in alphabetical order):
- Logan Bawcom (RHP)
- Blake Beavan (RHP) — likely only as a long reliever
- Danny Farquhar (RHP)
- Charlie Furbush (LHP)
- Bobby LaFromboise (LHP)
- Lucas Luetge (LHP)
- Brandon Maurer (RHP) — likely only as a long reliever.
- Yoervis Medina (RHP)
- Hector Noesi (RHP) — likely only as a long reliever.
- Stephen Pryor (RPH)
- Erasmo Ramirez (RHP) — only as a long reliever if he doesn’t find his way into the starting rotation.
- Tom Wilhelmsen (RHP)
- Fernando Rodney (RHP) — who has reportedly been signed by the Mariners for 2 years/$14 million with incentives.
Spots To Fill?
For most teams in the American League, the 25-man roster will consist of five starting pitchers, seven relief pitchers, two catchers, six infielders, and five outfielders– with one of the infielders/outfielders/catchers also being a regular DH. Though for the Mariners we have more DHs than lockers in the locker room.
So let’s assume– yes, I know what assuming does we have discussed it before– that the Mariners start the season with seven guys in the bullpen.