The Peoria Javelinas continued their 2013 season with a 9-5 loss to Surprise on Wednesday and a 6-3 win against Scottsdale on Thursday. Brandon Maurer will get the start for the Javelinas on Friday against Salt River.
Here’s how the seven future Mariners stand after three games:
Kyle Hunter- 2 IP, H, 3 K
Dominic Leone- IP, H, 2 K, SV
Carson Smith- IP, HLD
Chris Taylor- 0-for-3, BB, K
Patrick Kivelhan- .125 avg (1-8), 3 K
Stefen Romero- .167 avg (1-6), BB
Blanco Opts for Free Agency
Henry Blanco has declined to be outrighted to the minors by the Seattle Mariners and has instead opted for for free agency. The M’s designated Blanco for assignment Tuesday to make room on the 40-man roster for Travis Witherspoon, whom the team claimed off waivers from the Angels.
The Venezuelan native is a veteran of 16 Major League seasons with the Dodgers, Rockies, Brewers, Braves, Twins, Cubs, Padres, Mets, D-backs, Blue Jays and M’s. He is only a career .223 hitter but his caught-stealing rate of 42.8 percent is the second-highest among active Major League catchers.
Members of Mariners Organization Begin Venezuelan Winter League
The Liga Venezuela Beisbol Profesional began on Thursday and there are several members of the Mariners organization taking part.
- Mayckol Guaipe is a Venezuelan pitcher who spent 2013 at High Desert (Class-A Advanced). He was 3-4 with a 5.64 ERA and five saves in 59 IP. He is playing this year for Caribes de Anzoategui.
- Logan Bawcom and six others are playing for Cardenales de Lara. Bawcom is a RHP who spent 2013 in Triple-A Tacoma. He was 1-4 with a 2.91 ERA and 21 SV in 65 IP.
- Carlos Misell pitched in only five games in Rookie leagues this season, but allowed only four hits in 7.2 IP while striking out 13 and walking one.
- Anthony Vasquez was an 18th-round pick by the M’s in 2009. He split time between Class A Clinton and Double-A Jackson in 2013, with a
combined record of 2-6 with a 4.08 ERA in 69.2 IP.
- Catcher Franklin Diaz played for the Pulaski Mariners in the Rookie League in 2013. He batted .267 in 19 games.
- Listed as a 1B, Jesus Montero is also on Cardenales de Lara this year. In 29 games in Seattle this year, Montero batted .208 with three homers and nine RBI.
- SS Gabriel Noriega spent 2013 in Jackson where he batted .256 with a couple of homers and 30 RBI.
- The final Mariner on Cardenales de Lara is OF Jesus Ugueto. In 49 games for Pulaski this year, Ugueto batted .261 with eight homers and 39 RBI.
- OF Endy Chavez will play for Navegantes dl Magallanes. Chavez batted .267 in Seattle this year with 22 runs scored and 14 RBI.
We will update you on their stats and standings Monday morning.