They hope to one day be known as Seattle Mariners. Or at the very least, by the name of another team in Major League Baseball. But for now, they are known as Peoria Javelinas.
The 2013 Arizona Fall League gets underway Tuesday and continues through the middle of November. For over 20 years, some of the game’s most promising future stars head to the AFL to hone their craft and prepare for life in the majors.
This year, 24 of MLB’s Top-100 prospects will participate along with other minor league and major league players from every organization. The Mariners have seven players playing for the Peoria Javelinas, along with prospects from the Houston Astros, Philadelphia Phillies, San Diego Padres and the Kansas City Royals.
Those players are:
- LHP Kyle Hunter: For the Double-A Jackson Generals, Hunter posted a 3-0 record with a 1.40 ERA in 57.2 innings with 43 K’s.
- RHP Dominic Leone: The 21-year old Leone split time in 2013 between the Single-A Clinton LumberKings, the Single-A (Advanced) High Desert Mavericks and the Double-A Generals. He was a combined 1-3 with a 2.25 ERA in 64 IP with 64 K’s and 16 saves.
- RHP Brandon Maurer: Most Mariners fans are very familiar with what Maurer did, or didn’t do this season. He was 5-8 with a 6.30 ERA in 90 innings with the big club.
- RHP Carson Smith: In 44 games with Double-A Jackson this year, Smith was 1-3 with a 1.80 ERA and 15 saves. He struck out 71 batters in 50 IP.
- 3B Patrick Kivelhan: Splitting time between Clinton and High Desert, Kivelhan batted .303 with 16 homers and 90 RBI.
- SS Chris Taylor: Also splitting time High Desert and Jackson, Taylor batted .314 with 8 HR and 60 RBI, an OBP of .409 and 38 SB.
- OF Stefen Romero: Romero split time between High Desert and Triple-A Tacoma (mostly in Tacoma) in 2013. He batted .277 with 11 HR and 76 RBI.
The Javelinas begin their season Tuesday against the Surprise Saguaros, comprised of players from the Brewers, Indians, Red Sox, Orioles and Rangers organizations. The other teams and their affiliated organizations break down like this:
Glendale Desert Dogs: Dodgers, Marlins, Reds, Twins, White Sox
Scottsdale Scorpions: Braves, Giants, Mets, Pirates, Yankees
Mesa Solar Sox: Angels, Athletics, Cubs, Tigers, Nationals
Salt River Rafters: Blue Jays, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Rays, Rockies
SodoMojo will have updates on all Mariners players in the AFL as the season progresses.