We’re going to try to put out a series of morning links on a regular basis on the site for the next few months. Here’s the first installment. The Mariners play in Toronto at 4:07 PT today, and Felix Hernandez (3-2, 1.90 ERA) opposes Ricky Romero (1-1, 6.23 ERA).
- MLB.com beat writer Greg Johns broke down Jason Bay’s improvement and how he has earned more playing time
- Seattle Times baseball columnist Larry Stone discussed Tom Wilhelmsen’s remarkable comeback story and effectiveness as a major league closer.
- The Tacoma Rainiers won their ninth straight game, according to the Seattle Times. Jeremy Bonderman allowed just two hits in eight shutout innings.
- John Stearns is pleased to be managing in Tacoma in Daren Brown’s stead, says Stone.
- Lookout Landing’s Logan Davis wonders if it’s time to promote Nick Franklin to the big leagues. I say not until June, since if Robert Andino is the casualty, the Mariners will have no adequate back up at third base.
- Fangraphs’ Bradley Woodrum takes an extensive look at home runs on 0-2 counts in 2013. His third favorite was one Alex Rios hit off of Felix earlier this year.