The Spring Training games are underway for the Seattle Mariners, and they have won two out of three of the games they have played. Some of the players are already demonstrating that they are going to be forces to be reckoned with on the field. The veterans have stepped up to the plate, folks, and so far they are doing good things.
- In the opener against the San Diego Padres, Hector Noesi let the San Diego team grab up 6 runs. The Mariners never recovered from this, and the charity game was a loss 9-3.
- The Mariners came back on Saturday to beat the Padres with an 8-6 win. Jason Bay hit his first homer of the season, bringing home two men. This was also his first at bat for the season.
- We finally got to hear Aaron Goldsmith’s voice, as he served as announcer in the opener. Welcome to Seattle, Aaron.
- Justin Smoak and Raul Ibanez have also had strong at bats thus far. Smoak hit a homer to right field at Saturday’s game, and Ibanez hit a three-run homer in yesterday’s game.
- Sunday’s game against the Padres spelled out another win for the Mariners, the final score was 8-3.
- Around the American League West, the Oakland Athletics have won one of the two games they have played thus far, losing 2-1 against the Milwaukee Brewers and winning 7-5 against the Los Angeles Angels. The Angels have lost all three games they have played. In addition to being defeated by the Oakland Athletics, they lost 11-2 against the Chicago Cubs, 4-1 against the San Francisco Giants. The Houston Astros won their first game against the Philadelphia Phillies 8-3 and then tied with the New York Mets at 7. The Texas Rangers have tied or lost their first three games. In the game against the Kansas City Royals, the Rangers tied at 5 with the tame. In the other two games against the Royals, they lost 4-2 and 7-5 respectively.
Fingers crossed that the Mariners keep up their good record and enter the summer 2013 season strong. How awesome would it be to see them make it all the way this year? It certainly is long overdue. If you’ve been keeping up with the Spring Training games, what are your initial thoughts?