I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday. Over the holiday, the Seattle Mariners made some moves – as have some of the other teams. The Mariners announced a signing; a big prospect signed with another team, and a minor league deal was reached. What does this mean for a team desperate for rebuilding?
- The biggest news out of Safeco Field is the signing of Raul Ibanez for a one-year deal and the trade of Jason Vargas for Kendrys Morales. Speculation as to whether signing Ibanez was the wisest move the Ms could make abounds.
- Anthony Vasquez, who underwent emergency brain surgery last month, states that he hopes to make it to spring training with the Mariners’ minor league team.
- The Mariners signed a minor league contract with Jeremy Bonderman, former Detroit Tigers starting pitcher.
- The Kansas City Royals signed James Shields to their roster.
- Free agent Hideki Matsui, former New York Yankee has announced his retirement from professional baseball.
- A.J. Pierzynski signed a one-year deal with the Texas Rangers.
- Since Ibanez was signed with the Mariners, the team needed to free up a spot. They designated D.J. Mitchell for assignment. He was one of the pitchers gained in the Ichiro Suzuki trade deal with the New York Yankees.
- Former Braves player Andruw Jones was arrested on a battery charge following a call reporting a domestic dispute with his wife in Duluth.
- Nick Swisher signed with the Cleveland Indians.
That about rounds up what happened over the past several days. What do you think the chances of the Mariners signing Michael Bourn will be?