The Seattle Mariners have finally made a trade move – is it one that will work out? Rumor has it that there is a Detroit Tiger with too-high a salary, and a minor-league pitcher is suspended from 50 games. At Bat Today has your Seattle Mariners news for the day.
- In a bold move, the Ms send Jason Vargas packing to Southern California to join up with the Los Angeles Angels. In exchange, they are receiving Kendrys Morales, a proven hitter who slammed home 34 home runs in the 2009 season. It is a one-year deal, as both Morales and Vargas will be free agents next year
- Speculation out there is focusing on the question upon whether Detroit Tiger Anibal Sanchez is being overpaid by the team.
- Free agent pitcher Kyle Pelchy has been banned from 50 games after he refused to take an off-season drug test. In the minor leagues, there have been 104 suspensions due to drug problems, and in the major leagues, there have been eight.
- Debates continue about whether baseball players Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and Sammy Sosa should be included on the baseball Hall of Fame ballot, since they were associated with steroid use.
- Writers are questioning whether Danny Hultzen, in Triple A last year, has what it takes to maintain his status as a top prospect for 2013’s season.
- Franklin Gutierrez and Carlos Peguero are continuing to play strong during the off season in Winter League play.
- Ryan Kiel, left-handed pitcher for the Pulaski Mariners minor team, accepted an offer to become the general manager of the Pulaski Mariners.
What do you think of the trade involving Vargas and Morales? Have you been keeping up with the Winter League play?
Tags: Seattle Mariners