I really don’t want to dwell on negatives here… there are just too many.
So let’s go with some positive bullet thoughts
- Jack Wilson’s grab at short in the bottom of the ninth is proof that the guy can still pick it. It was one of the best plays I’ve seen all year (right up there with the play at the beginning of the season in Texas) . If a team needs help with up the middle defense I can’t think of a better guy.
- It’s hard to nail down a specific MVP for the Mariners this first half of the year but one of the finalist has to be Michael Pineda. The way he has pitched and not just been successful but also consistent. He has succeeded head and shoulders above what we all thought he was going to be and the future is so bright for this young man.
- Dustin Ackley has been fun and exciting and despite the fact he snapped his hit streak it still felt like anything could happen with his at bats and that’s exciting.
- Justin Smoak has really picked it back up his last 10 games. 12-33 with 8 walks and only 3 strike outs. Forget that he only has 1 home run he’s getting on base and if the Mariners can get this offense firing on all cylinders (Ichiro, Ackley, Smoak, Olivo and Kennedy) it could really start churning out some offense. Despite being 0-6 with runners in scoring position there is
- David Pauley looked fine yesterday. I said it Wednesday, he’s going to be fine. He’s pitching a bit over his head in the fact that he’s going to give up home runs. It would be A LONG shot to believe that he won’t ever give up a home run again. It’s unfortunate the way it happened to go down but I’m not worried in his abilities and neither should Wedge.
Mariners of the Game:
Michael Pineda WPA (0.446)
Justin Smoak WPA (0.154)
David Pauley WPA (0.101)