The M’s aren’t giving us much to cheer about so far. The offense has been abysmal, the pitching sub-par, and the defense the only thing keeping our ship afloat. So should we start to panic? Of course not; it’s been five games. There are still 157 games to play.
Reasons for hope and optimism and sunshine:
- Vargas started out really, really well. The Rangers are a really good offensive ballclub, and Jason fended them off like a boss. All of his pitches were working and were it not for his rough 6th inning, he might have gone seven strong innings.
- Casey Kotchman hit an absolute bomb in the 8th inning. And I mean a bomb. He smacked that pitch like it was Brett Myers’ wife.
- Felix is starting tomorrow.
- 5 games is an incredibly small sample size of games out of which to extrapolate how the M’s might do over the course of the entire season.
- Cliff Lee will only be missing 4 weeks, not 6 weeks, of the season. He’ll most likely be taken off the DL at the end of the month.
- Coach Owens has returned to the blogosphere. Let the genocide of memes commence!
Incredibly, the Texas twitterers managed to out-tweet the M’s twitterers over the course of the game, according to MLB.com’s “Pulse of the Game.” This seems unlikely.